Let's consider the electric machine in Figure 1 (with windings as shown). Let's assume that the winding coils contain three-phase voltage. The picture showing…
Aim of the study element
To introduce the principles of electromechanical energy conversion, to give a description of the most important electromechanical devices, and an explanation on how to characterise and use them for a given application.
Having successfully completed this element you will be able to:
- Analyse the energy characteristics of electric circuits.
- To characterise solenoid characteristics and its functions in a circuit, and to use linear analysis for electromechanical tranducers.
- To understand the energy conversion process in circuits.
- To understand the principles of operation of AC and DC motors and generators.
- To calculate and interpret the data of electric machines.
- To understand and describe the characteristics of some single-phased, switch reluctance and other motors.
- To select the appropriate motor for a particular application.
- Principles of electromechanics.
- Introduction to electric machines.
- Special electric machines.
Electromechanics – main terms
Elelctromagnetic forces are used to produce mechanical effects that are considered in terms of electromechanics. The applications of electromechanics are fairly wide like in…
Transformers and their types
Transformers are most frequent nowadays in the magnetic structures that are in use in many devices. The ideal transformer is a device that sets…
Linear Variable Differential Transformer (LVDT)
A Linear Variable Differential Transformer (LVDT) is a displacement transducer, used to measure displacement, based on the effect of the mutual inductances. It is…
Rotating electric machines
The operating of rotating electric machines is based on the very well known laws of electric and magnetic fields. The key role in the…
Magnetic reluctance position sensors
This magnetic structure is very simple due to its consistency and is very wide spread in the application of measuring linear and angular velocity.…
What is rotating electric machine
Rotating electrical machine consists of a stator, rotor and the air gap between them. Stator and rotor has windings . The rotor is installed…
Direct-current machines and equations
The schematic of a DC machine is depicted below. As you can see it has magnetic poles on both stator and rotor. The torque,…
An induction motor is a type of electric machine. Here the stator coils produce a magnetic field, and this magnetic field induces a current,…