This post answers the question "What is fiber optics and how it works?" Any signal can be transmitted in an electrical form as an…
Category: Fiber Optics and Photonics
Fibre Optics and Photonics: Preface
Aim of the study element
To provide an introduction to the fundamentals and applications of optical communication systems and devices. Students will be introduced to modern technology and properties of optical devices for communications.
Having successfully completed this element you will be able to:
- Understand the basics of optics, optic devices and their properties.
- Use optical devices for given applications, including optical networks and architectures.
- Use electro-optical devices, optical systems and networks.
- Successfully use your knowledge of optical communication systems.
- Introduction to fiber optics and photonics.
- Introduction to lasers.
- Principles of laser operation.
- Fiber and guided wave optics.
- Optical systems and networks.
Mode propagation in optical fiber
This post answers the question: "What is mode propagation in optical fiber?". In order to consider concept of light propagation we will use Maxwell…
This post answers the question: "What are features of single mode fiber?". Single-mode fibers are fibers that support only HE11 mode, fundamental mode. Single-mode…
What is an optical communication system
The typical optical carrier frequencies are ~ 200THz. The microwave carrier frequencies are ~1GHz. This means that optical communication systems have a larger capacity…
Step-index and grade-index fibers
This post answers the question "What is meant by step-index and grade-index fibers?". Geometrical fiber is the simplest type of fiber optics, has cylindric…