British Airways is offering the chance to join its apprenticeships programme with a role in aircraft maintenance at Heathrow Airport, London.
- Role: Heathrow Aircraft Maintenance
- Location: London Heathrow, British Airways Technical Block C, London
- Duration: 3 years
- Salary: £15,035 increasing in year two and again in year three
- Application closing date: 29th November 2023
- Starting date: Sprint/Autumn 2024
British Airways offers an apprenticeship programme where participants work alongside highly skilled engineers, engaging directly in real aircraft maintenance. The apprenticeship encompasses a range of placements across various aircraft fleets, providing hands-on experience essential for maintaining aircraft in optimal condition. Apprentices not only receive comprehensive on-the-job training but also work towards the qualifications necessary to become Aircraft Maintenance Technicians.
The apprenticeship begins with an induction at the London Heathrow base. In the first year, apprentices are based off-site and live away from home, focusing on training and studying for their CAA Part-66 Category A Licence Modules and a Level 2 Diploma in Aerospace and Aviation Engineering (City and Guilds 4605-2). British Airways provides complimentary accommodation near the training base during this period.
In the second and third years, apprentices return to the Heathrow Base, working alongside engineers and potentially at other UK operational bases. They continue their studies towards achieving a Level 3 Engineering Technician apprenticeship (Aircraft Maintenance Fitter/Technician – Fixed and Rotary Wing) and a Level 3 Diploma in Aviation Maintenance (Development Competence).
About the ideal candidate:
British Airways seeks candidates with a minimum grade 5 (B) in Maths and preferably grades 9 – 4 (A* – C) in English and Science GCSEs, although these are not mandatory (predicted grades are acceptable but must be achieved by the apprenticeship). The programme looks for individuals who are strong communicators, aware of safety, self-motivated, adaptable, and have a genuine passion for engineering and aviation. Those already studying towards or who have completed an engineering qualification are welcome to apply, and their experience and qualifications will be assessed for eligibility for apprenticeship funding.
Benefits for apprentices:
Ranked 8th in the Top 100 Apprenticeship Employer Awards, British Airways’ apprenticeship scheme is highly regarded. Apprentice’s will receive the following benefits:
- Integration into the British Airways apprentice network, connecting with peers across various schemes and learning from former apprentices.
- Engagement in our sustainability initiatives, actively supporting community groups including LGBTQ+ ‘Flying Proud’ and black excellence ‘BeMe’.
- Participation in Community Investment programmes, involving fundraising for partner charities and causes that matter to you.
- Volunteering opportunities in schools and colleges, sharing your journey to inspire and guide students towards careers in our industry.
- Access to substantially discounted flights, including business class, and a generous annual leave allowance to help you explore the world.
If this role sounds of interest to you, do not be afraid to apply, here. Good luck!