European Commission has selected 17 European universities alliances as part of their prestigious education and innovation initiative. Universities will receive 3-year funding by Erasmus+ programme with maximum 5m Euro per alliance, in total receiving 85m Euro.
Universities alliances include 114 universities from 24 European Union countries. Universities had to submit the application for funding, that was considered by 26 independent external experts – researchers, professors and rectors.
Alliances are involving universities from wide range of applications – applied sciences, technical sciences, fine arts and research-based universities.
- UNA Europa (1EUROPE);
- The 4EU+ Alliance (4EU+);
- ARQUS European University Alliance (ARQUS);
- CHARM European University (CHARMEU);
- European University in Social Sciences (CIVICA);
- European Civic University Alliance (CIVIS);
- European University of Smart Urban Coastal Sustainability (CONEXUS);
- ECIU University (ECIUn);
- European Digital University (EDUC);
- European Partnership for an Innovative Campus Unifying Regions (EPICUR);
- Alliance for common fine arts curriculum (EU4ART);
- European University Alliance for Global Health (EUGLOCH);
- European Universities Transforming to an Open, Inclusive Academy for 2050 (EUTOPIA);
- Fostering Outreach within European Regions, Transnational Higher Education and Mobility (FORTHEM);
- The European University of the Seas (SEA-EU);
- University Network for Innovation, Technology and Engineering (UNITE!);
- Young Universities for the Future of Europe (YUFE).
This alliances represent inter-university campuses, uniting students, doctoral candidates, are researchers. They will join platforms, skills, expertises to deliver joint curricula, covering various disciplines. Programmes will be flexible, allowing students to personalise their education. Selected universities will also contribute to the sustainability of the area where they are located.
Second call for universities will happen this autumn, when the new concept of European Universities will be implemented. Next 2021-2027 budgeting of Universities alliances is planned to be increased.
Credit: “First 17 “European Universities” selected: a major step towards building a European Education Area”, European Commission, 26.06.2019.