Any signal can be transmitted in an electrical form as an analogue or digital signal. As we know from another courses, analogue signal is…
Fibre Optics and Photonics: Preface
Aim of the study element
To provide an introduction to the fundamentals and applications of optical communication systems and devices. Students will be introduced to modern technology and properties of optical devices for communications.
Having successfully completed this element you will be able to:
- Understand the basics of optics, optic devices and their properties.
- Use optical devices for given applications, including optical networks and architectures.
- Use electro-optical devices, optical systems and networks.
- Successfully use your knowledge of optical communication systems.
- Introduction to fibre optics and photonics.
- Introduction to lasers.
- Principles of laser operation.
- Fibre and guided wave optics.
- Optical systems and networks.
The complete content for this module will be posted here soon.
The typical optical carrier frequencies are ~ 200THz. The microwave carrier frequencies are ~1GHz. This means that optical communication systems have a larger capacity…