Energy devices and energy control. All the processes in our daily lives are connected to electricity and energy conversion. So energy, its savings and…
Power Electronics: Preface
Aim of the study element
To introduce students to the principles of selection of power electronic devices, and to explain the concepts of their interaction. To introduce a learner to the principles of characterisation and design of power electronics devices and systems.
Having successfully completed this element you will be able to:
- Understand properties and characteristics of power electronic devices, like converters, transformers and others.
- Integrate power electronic devices into a circuit, based on the system requirements and conditions.
- Analyse circuits with power devices.
- Make the proper selection of power components for circuits.
- Understand characteristics and performance of power elements and components.
- Characterise topology of converters, inverters and magnetics.
- Classification of power electronic devices.
- Classification of power electronic circuits.
- Power amplifiers.
- Voltage regulators.
- Electric motor drivers.
The complete content for this module will be posted here soon.
A Power diode is a two terminal device, where one terminal is an anode, and the second terminal is a cathode. If the anode…
The structure of an npn Power Bipolar Junction Transistor (BJT) is depicted in Figure 1. The structure and operation of a pnp BJT will…
The BJT static characteristics determine the safe operational regime of the device. They are usually described in the datasheet as maximum ratings. This data…
The most important dynamic characteristics of a BJT are it's switching characteristics. In standard operation the BJT transistor works as an amplifier, as was…
A vPower MOSFET is a unipolar three-terminal semiconductor device that controls the large amounts of power flow between its input and output. Due to…
To understand the turn-on and turn–off process in power MOSFETs, we have to consider the simplified equivalent circuits of the power MOSFET in turn-on…
A single-phase half-wave rectifier circuit is depicted in Figure 1. This rectifier has a resistive load. Figure 1. Single-phase half-wave rectifier circuit. During the…